Friday, April 28, 2006

Real world, made up stories

"Write what you know," is really great advice. Its easier to write what you know and doesn't require a lot of research. But, in the fiction world, writing only what you know puts limits on the stories you can write.

In fan fiction I have written, I did a little research but often I just faked it. Somehow I was able to get away with that. But if I want to get published, I can't fake anything.

I'm writing a story that has many things I don't know, so I have to research. Although its not quite as fun as the writing part, I have to say that I have learned some interesting things I didn't know before.

My goal now is to be able to effectively and accurately use what I have learned about the real world in my fictional stories.

Jenna


1 Comments:

  • At 2:01 PM, Blogger Phil W said…

    I think this advice needs qualification, b/c writing what you know doesn't mean writing only about people in suburban Virginia, if that's where you live. It means thinking through relationships and writing about people as you understand them--how they talk and interact with each other. If you write fantasy or stories in imaginative worlds, then your characters will draw or repel readers with their realism based on what you know. Hopefully, you have written an attractive world in which to place those characters.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home