Monday, May 15, 2006

POV...who's thinking here?

I've always thought I had pretty good control over point of view (POV) in my stories. I just have two usually, the man and the woman. I alternate POV from scene to scene, not within a scene so it doesn't get confusing.

I have identified a publisher I'd like to submit my work to and its guidelines say the book must be from the female protagonists point of view. I can have some POV from the man but at least 60% must be from the woman.

The uptight person than I am, I have gone through to figure out what percentage POV each person has in my story. I got so worried about it that I bought 2 books from the publisher to see what other's had done. One only had the man's POV when he was by himself (reflecting) or talking to his maid. In essence, if the female was in the scene the POV was all hers. So I went through and started to do the same with my book. This was very difficult as I had some great scenes between the couple from his POV. And some scenes really required that they be from his POV.

I haven't read the second book, but I opened it to random spots and guess what? There was the man's POV in a scene with the female protagonist. What a relief.

Now that crisis is over...

Jenna


1 Comments:

  • At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wish I had your discipline. I have always loved reading romance novels and have secretly wished that I would one day be overcome with a ridiculously unsatiable urge to create my own little world in a novel, but as of yet, nothing. :) good luck~ i'm adding you to my blogroll to keep up with your progress...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home